The Western Michigan University Alumni Association established the Legacy Scholarship program in 1990 to recognize the loyalty of multi-generational Bronco families. The scholarship symbolizes the Association’s commitment to the continued Bronco legacy and the importance each of us has in WMU’s history and growth.
The Legacy Scholarship is a competitive, one-time, nonrenewable award, worth $1,000, to be distributed in the fall and spring semesters ($500 fall/$500 spring).
Admitted Broncos are encouraged to submit an application using WMU's scholarship-matching tool, ScholarshipUniverse, which students can log into using their Bronco NetID and password. ScholarshipUniverse houses both institutional and external scholarships. Further instructions on how to log in to and navigate ScholarshipUniverse can be found here.
To be eligible to apply for this competitive scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Parent, stepparent, or legal guardian must be a graduate of Western Michigan University.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking student at WMU in the fall of 2021 for the first time as a freshman or as an undergraduate transfer student.
- Must have a minimum 2.5 high school GPA for entering freshman.
- Must have a minimum 2.5 college GPA for entering transfer students.
- Demonstrate leadership, commitment to community service, and achievement of personal and educational goals.
- Submit an Essay – Prompt can be found on the scholarship application.
Scholarship Information and Selection Process
The total number of scholarships and award amounts given per year will be based upon available funds. Twenty Legacy Scholarships will be awarded for academic year 2021. Recipients must enroll full-time in both fall and spring semesters to receive the full award.
The selection committee shall consist of members of the WMU Alumni Association Board of Directors and volunteers, who will consider leadership, community service, honors, awards, and career goals in making their selections.
The complete application package must be submitted no later than Monday, February 15, 2021.
For questions or more information, contact Carolyn Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or (269) 387-8749.