The Western Michigan University Alumni Association established the Legacy Scholarship program in 1990 to recognize the loyalty of multi-generational Bronco families.
The scholarship symbolizes the Association's commitment to the continued Bronco legacy and the importance each of us has in WMU’s history and growth.
PLEASE NOTE: If you’ve already submitted an application to attend WMU and are interested in applying for the Legacy Scholarship, please go to your Gold Gateway account. This is the same account you used when submitting your application to WMU. You will only be able to apply for the Legacy Scholarship if you indicated you have a legacy (WMU Alumni) family member. The link for the scholarship application will appear in your Gold Gateway account.
To receive the scholarship, applicants:
- Must be a child, stepchild, grandchild, or sibling of a WMU alumna or alumnus with a degree from WMU.
- Must be enrolled as a full time, degree seeking student at WMU in the fall of 2020 for the first time as a freshman or as an undergraduate transfer student.
- Do not have to be admitted to WMU at the time of applying for the scholarship, but an admissions application must be on file.
- Must have a minimum 2.5 high school GPA for entering freshman.
- Must have a minimum 2.5 college GPA for entering transfer students.
Preference is given to the well-rounded student (includes extra-curricular activities, volunteer service and employment).
SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
The total number of scholarships and amounts given per year will be based upon available funds from the Endowment. Recipients must enroll full time to receive the award.
- For incoming students, the Legacy scholarship is $8,000 over four years/$2,000 per year.
- For transfer students, the Legacy scholarship is $4,000 over two years/$2,000 per year.
- Can be combined (stackable) with other WMU scholarships.
- Applicants are eligible to participate in a mentorship with a member from the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
The Selection Committee consists of members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, community volunteers and WMU staff who will consider types of leadership, quantity of community service, honors, years and type of employment, as well as, the quality of the essay response. This is a competitive process; therefore, scholarships are not guaranteed to all applicants.
TO RENEW THIS SCHOLARSHIP
To retain your renewable Western Michigan University Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship, you must:
- Enroll for at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester at WMU
- Pass a minimum of 24 hours at WMU each fall and spring semester, AND
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
The application and essay must be completed online no later than February 1, 2020 to be considered. For questions or more information, please contact Hardy Figueroa at email@example.com.